Tel: 0131 447 6974 Option 1 - Office
          Option 2 - Pro Shop
          Option 3 - Bar
















Mortonhall Golf Club


Great War Casualties Roll of Honour

Mortonhall Golf Club

First edition October 2014

Updated March 2015

Copyright  © Dr D R Kerr Fraser 2014

Mortonhall Golf Club

First World War Memorial


In the Centenary Year of the Great War, this project was started as a tribute to those members and staff of Mortonhall Golf Club who gave their lives during the First World War. It has been a humbling and a very rewarding journey, researching the lives of those who made the ultimate sacrifice in serving their country in the armed forces.

I wish to acknowledge the help I have received from the following sources.

Mortonhall Minutes Books in  Edinburgh City Archive

Commonwealth War Graves Commission (

The Watsonian War Record 1914-1918

The Merchiston Castle School Roll of Honour 1914-1918

University of Edinburgh Roll of Honour 1914-1919 (with portraits)

Scotland’s People (

Henry Trotter of Mortonhall yr, Charterhall, Duns

Forces War Records ( (

Genes Reunited (

Field Family Tree (

Edinburgh’s War (

The Scotsman archive

The British Medical Journal archive

NewspaperSG (

Wikipedia (

WikiTree (

Past Captain Gordon Craig

Mark Duffy for photographs of Dunning Parish Church and John Lawson’s memorial.

Geoff Gibb, esq

Nick Metcalf (

V.C. & D.S.O. Book Vol II

Dr D R Kerr Fraser (Vice-Captain)


Great War Casualties Roll of Honour

Lt-Col E H Trotter  DSO


Major R B Trotter



Lieutenant F KinlochAnderson


Second Lieutenant Ian M Paterson Brown

Major G H  MelvilleDunlop 

David P Watt( professional)

Lieutenant Crawford Jamieson 

Captain James Ogilvie Kemp 

J W or I W or Captain William Lawson 

Major the Hon Charles Lyell M P

Captain John Martin MC

Ralph Scott Russell (greenkeeper)

Roll of Mortonhall Golf Club Serving Members 1914-1918

This roll has been copied from the Mortonhall Minutes’ book for 1918 and contains the names of those who were members of Mortonhall Golf Club who served their King and Country between the outbreak of War on 4th August 1914 and The Signature of the Armistice on 11th November 1918.

In total 119 names are recorded of whom 4 were Honorary Members, 98 Members, 13 Supernumerary Members and 4 Employees. The twelve members who paid the ultimate sacrifice are commemorated on the Mortonhall Golf Club Memorial and are listed on the previous page.

Honorary Members

Lieutenant Colonel A R Trotter, DSO, MVO

Brigadier General G F Trotter, CB, CMG, DSO, CVO

Lieutenant Colonel E H Trotter, DSO  (Killed in Action)

Major R B Trotter  (Killed in Action)



Ordinary Members

Lieutenant Douglas Bruce Adam, Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders

Lieutenant N I Aitken, The Royal Scots

Major R C Alexander, RAMC

Rev W G Allan, MA, BD

Lieutenant F Kinloch Anderson, The Black Watch (Killed in Action)

C G C Balfour

Rev Andrew Brown, MC

A M Carr Brown, Croix de Guerre, Army Service Corps M T, Private on Staff

Lieutenant H Kingsley Brown, The Royal Scots

Lieutenant Iain M Paterson Brown (Killed in Action), Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders

Keith Paterson Brown, MB, ChB, RAMC

Lieutenant A G Cairns, Royal Field Artillery

Major I B Cameron DSC, Royal Artillery

Major I S Taylor Cameron, The Royal Scots

T N Campbell, The Royal Scots

Lieutenant Ian F Christie, Scottish Horse

Lieutenant N Leslie Christie, Royal Garrison Artillery

Lance Corporal James A Clark, Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders

Lieutenant H H Considine, Royal Garrison Artillery

Lieutenant Herbert F N Cox. East Surrey Regiment

Major H G Crawford, MC, The Royal Scots

Lt Col John Cruickshank, The Black Watch

Bombardier W Cumming, Royal Garrison Artillery

Douglas Currie

Major Cecil De Pree, Fife Yeomanry

Lance Corp A S Dickson, Seaforth Highlanders

Lieutenant A Dougal, RGA

Major G H Melville Dunlop, RAMC (Died in France)

Lieutenant N R D Fairburn, Royal Garrison Artillery

Lt Colonel E Fearenside, DSO, Manchester Regiment

Major Robert Fleming, The Royal Scots

Lt Col D A Foulis, DSO, Scottish Rifles

Lieutenant C I S Fraser, Indian Army

Captain R M Fraser, RAMC

Captain S Fraser (junior), MC, The Royal Scots

Captain D A Gallie, Army Service Corps

N Garrett

Lieutenant E H M Georgeson, MA, The Royal Scots

RQMS J J Gillespie, The Royal Scots

Lieutenant A D Grant, The Black Watch

Captain N J Grant, KOSB

Captain Sir Robert B Grieg, MA, The Royal Scots

Major J Ogilvie Grey, The Royal Scots

Alexander Harrison, The Royal Scots

Lieutenant F T Hamilton, RAMC

Lieutenant H D Huie, The Royal Scots

Lieutenant N C Inman MC, The Royal Scots

Lieutenant Crawford Jamieson, The Royal Scots (Killed I Action)

I M Jamieson, The Royal Scots

Captain J Ogilvie Kemp, The Royal Scots (Died as a result of illness contracted whilst in France)

Captain J W Lawson, Machine Gun Corps (Killed in Action)

George Lorimer, junior, Royal Garrison Artillery

Surgeon Duncan Lorimer, MB, HMS “Malaya”

Lieutenant J D Lownie, The Royal Scots

Captain the Hon Charles H Lyell, MP, Royal Garrison Artillery (Died on Government Mission to USA)

Lieutenant R H Lyle, ROC

Lieutenant Col Sir George McCrae, DSO, The Royal Scots

Captain A Donald Mackenzie, Royal Engineers

Lieutenant Frank Mackenzie, Cameron Highlanders

Captain R N Mackenzie, RAMC

Private N Willis Mackenzie, Reserve Employment Co.

Lieutenant C F M Maclachlan, Gordon Highlanders

Lieutenant Alasdair I MacLaren, MC, Royal Field Artillery

Lieutenant N D Macniven, Royal Garrison Artillery

Lieutenant N M McWilliam. Highland Cyclist Corps

Lieutenant T P Manuel, The Royal Scots

Captain Charles L Marburg, The Royal Scots

Rev F H Martin, BD

Captain John Martin, MC, Gordon Highlanders (Killed in Action)

Kenmure Melville, MD

C Stuart-Nimmo

Captain W G Simla Paterson, RAMC

Rev David Reid, BD

Lieutenant I H Romanes, Royal Defence Corps

T N E Ross, MD

Captain G A Rusk, The Black Watch

Rev H Moffat Scott

Lieutenant A Noel Skelton, Scottish Horse

Captain J Watson Simpson, MB, ChB, RAMC

Captain A H H Sinclair, MD, RAMC

Lieutenant R O’Hara Smith, Essex Regiment

Captain Robert Smith, Tenth Infantry Brigade

Captain T S Whyte Smith, The Royal Scots

Lieutenant A Somerville, Royal Garrison Artillery

Brigadier General T Hope Stavert

Colonel D S Stewart, CB, Northumberland Fusiliers

W R Taylor, Army Service Corps

Lieutenant J Ainslie Thin, Lothian & Border Horse

W E Townsend, Director Scottish Ambulances (Red Cross)

W G Walker

Captain The Hon Adam G Watson, The Royal Scots

H S Watson Wemyss, Chief M O, British Red Cross Hospital, Dalmeny

Lieutenant J L White, Royal Engineers

W C White, Royal Engineers

Lieutenant W A Whitelaw, Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders

Major John Wilson, The Royal Scots

Rev Peter Wilson

Supernumerary Members

C I W Ache

Rev V C Alexander

H W Backie, Royal Engineers

Major I H Montgomery Bell, MD, Canadian Army Medical Corps

Lieutenant P Gordon Campbell, 127th Baluchis (Light Infantry)

Lieutenant James A Hay, Australian Engineers

Captain R A Hay, MC & bar, Canadian Engineers

Captain I V MacDonald, MC, Indian Medical Corps

A D Macgregor, Nigerian Land Contingent

Captain R F D Macgregor, MC, Indian Medical Service

Major N D Morgan, DSO, MC, Royal Field Artillery

A L Robertson, RN

Rev James Rutherford, DD


A Inglis, Cameron Highlanders (Professional)

Ralph S Russell, The Royal Scots (Killed in Action) [Greenkeeper]

Lance Corporal A Thomson, Royal Garrison Artillery [Greenkeeper]

Lance Corporal D P Watt, Cameron Highlanders (Killed in Action) [Professional]



Lieutenant Edward Henry Trotter  DSO

Grenadier Guards

Grenadier guards


Grenadier guards 1

















Honorary Member of Mortonhall Golf Club from 1896

Born 1st December 1872 in London

Died Killed in action 8th July 1916 on the Somme

Buried at Péronne Road Cemetery, Maricourt, Somme, France.

Commemorated also on the War Memorial, The New Club, Edinburgh.

and The Berkeley War Memorial, Minster Church of St Mary the Virgin of Berkeley, Breadstone, Newport & Wick. Gloucestershire


Commanded the 18th Battalion, The King's (Liverpool Regiment) during the First World War.

He was born in London  on 1 Dec. 1872, son of Major-General Sir Henry Trotter, G.C.V.O. of Mortonhall, Edinburgh and the Honourable Ena Gifford, eldest daughter of the 2nd Baron Gifford. He entered the Grenadier Guards as Second Lieutenant 28 June, 1893, and was promoted Lieutenant 25 Aug. 1897. He served in the Nile Expedition, 1898; took part in the Battle of Khartum, and received the Egyptian Medal with clasp. He was promoted Captain 28 Jan. 1900. He served during the South African War, 1900-1902, with the City of London Imperial Volunteers, on the Staff; during operations in the Orange Free State, May, 1900, including action at Zand River; during operations in the Transvaal, May and June, 1900, including actions near Johannesburg, Pretoria and Diamond Hill (11 and 12 June); during operations in the Transvaal, west of Pretoria, Aug. 1900. He was employed with Mounted Infantry during operations in Cape Colony, 1901-2; was mentioned in Despatches [London Gazette, 10 Sept. 1901], received the Queen’s Medal with four clasps, and was created a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order [London Gazette, 27 Sept. 1901]: “Edward Henry Trotter, Capt., Grenadier Guards. In recognition of services during the operations in South Africa." The Insignia were presented by the King 29 Oct. 1901. He became Major 26 Sept. 1908. Major Trotter served in the European War from 1914, as Temporary Lieutenant-Colonel from 1 Sept. 1914, commanding the 18th Battn. Liverpool Regt., one of four Liverpool "Pals" battalions raised. The battalion was initially located at Hooton racecourse, where they were supervised by NCOs from the Grenadier Guards. The new commanding officer was enthusiastic about physical exercise. In spite of a weak knee as a result of a hunting accident, Trotter would often take part in his battalion's daily exercises. Col Edward "Teddy" Trotter was described by his battalion as an exceptional leader of men and one of the most marvellous men they could ever work with or under. The 18th's prowess in inter-battalion competitions earned it the nickname "Trotter's Greyhounds".

After landing at Boulogne, France in November 1915, Trotter's battalion was moved to the Somme area. On 1 July 1916, on the first day of the Somme offensive, the 18th King's advanced with their division towards Montauban. Located on the left flank of the French, to the south of where the British Army sustained most of its casualties on the first day, the 30th Division began its advance at 07:30. An effective French bombardment ensured the advance encountered mostly limited opposition. The 18th King's, however, was subject to relentless fire from German positions during their advance on the Glatz Redoubt. The division's objectives were nevertheless achieved, one of the few successes of 1 July. Trotter estimated the 18th had suffered about 500 casualties on the first-day.

Reduced to minimal strength, the 18th was withdrawn from the front and converted to a carrier battalion. When it was ordered to move forward on 8 July, Trotter decided to oversee the movement personally and arrived before the battalion. The troop movements prompted the Germans to bombard the area. On the 8th July 1916 a shell landed in the entrance to brigade headquarters, killing Trotter, a lieutenant, two other ranks, and mortally wounding Lieutenant-Colonel William Smith of the 18th Manchesters.


The following is an extract from a newspaper: “A tribute to the benefits of sport was paid in his will by Lieut.-Colonel E. H. Trotter, D.S.O., Grenadier Guards, who was killed in France in July. He left £25,170, and bequeathed:— 'To the Grenadier Guards the regimental cup which I won the first year I joined, in the hope that sport of all sorts will long flourish in the regiment, it having been my experience in all the wars I have been in that the best sportsman makes the best soldier, and I should like this fact to be inscribed on the cup.'"

He is buried at Péronne Road Cemetery, Maricourt. One of his brothers, Reginald, was killed on 9 May 1915 while serving with the Cameron Highlanders on the Western Front.


Grenadier guards 2

















Major General Sir Henry Trotter of Mortonhall G.C.V.,D.L. with his sons,

Captain Reginald Baird Trotter (killed in action 1915)

Col. Edward Henry Trotter D.S.O. (killed in action1916)

Brig. Genereal Gerald Frederick Trotter C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O., C.V.O.,

Colonel Algernon Reginald Trotter of Mortonhall D.S.O., M.V.O.


Captain Reginald Baird Trotter

Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders

Cpt Trotter

Cpt Trotter 1

















Honorary Member Mortonhall Golf Club from 1896

Born 25th March 1874 in London

Died Killed in action 9th May 1915 Battle of Aubers Ridge, Belgium

Commemorated on the Le Touret Memorial, Pas de Calais, France,

and the War Memorial, The New Club, Edinburgh

Son of Major General Sir Henry Trotter G.C.V.O. and the Hon Lucy Trotter of Mortonhall.

Mentioned in Dispatches.

The attack on Aubers Ridge fought at the behest of the French General Joffre to assist his Spring Offensive in the Artois area was a complete failure which gained no ground and cost the British Army 11,000 casualties, the vast majority within yards of their own front-line trench. Mile for mile, Division for Division, this was one of the highest rates of loss during the entire war. The Cameron Highlanders sustained 249 casualties of whom 9 were officers.
































War Memorial in The New Club, Edinburgh


Lieutenant Frederick Kinloch Anderson

1st/4th Battalion Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)

 Frederick Kinlock Anderson

Lt Anderson 1

















Born 1880 in Edinburgh

Died 25th September 1915 aged 35 in Flanders

Commemorated with honour at Pont-du-Hem Military Cemetery, La Gorgue,

Son of Bailie William Joseph Kinloch Anderson and Mary Anderson of 4 Seton Place Edinburgh. Later stayed at 54 Fountainhall Road and Craigmillar Park, Edinburgh. Attended George Watson’s College 1886-96.

Civil Engineer and was employed in the engineer’s department of the North British Railway when war broke out.

Enlisted in the 9th Royal Scots, he received a commission in the 4th Royal Highlanders in 1915. He fell in Flanders in September, the same year.

His brother, Captain Walter Kinloch Anderson, Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) was also killed in action during the First World War. He was born in 1885 and attended George Watson’s College from 1891-1902. He attended Edinburgh University and qualified as a Chartered Accountant. He was a golfer of note and prior to the war was Joint Secretary of the Watsonian Club. Enlisting in 1915, he was commissioned ti the 5th Royal Highlanders in March 1915. He was bombing officer for his Brigade from 1916-1918 and rose to the rank of Captain. Crossing to France in April 1918, he was attached to the 6th Royal Highlanders, a unit of the famous 51st Division. In desperate fighting in the Bois de Courtrai he was killed in action on 22nd July 1918.


2nd Lieutenant Ian Paterson Brown

3rd Battalion Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

Lt Brown












Born 25th September 1896 at 16 Hartington Place, Edinburgh to John Paterson Brown, silk merchant and Jane (Jean) Murray Brown, (nee Smith)

Stayed later at 12 Corrennie Gardens.

Brother Captain Keith Paterson Brown, MB, ChB, RAMC, mentioned in dispatches, “Harlaw” 12 Hope Terrace.

Sister Nan Paterson Brown

Schooling: Attended Merchiston Castle School 1910-13.

Military Career: Member of school OTC 1910-13. Signed up in 1915 and Gazetted as 2nd Lt to 3rd Battalion Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders 22nd April 1915.

After sailing for France in 1916 attached to 2nd Seaforth Highlanders and moved straight to the trenches. Killed in action, 3 weeks later, north of Ypres. Initially buried at Marengo Farm, Boesinghe.

















Copy of telegram from the war Office


Remembered with honour at Bard Cottage Cemetery, Ypres, Belgium and Merchiston Castle School War Memorial Panels and Roll of Honour.

Lt Brown 1














Dr George Harry Melville Dunlop, M.D., FRCPE

No. 4 General Hospital, Royal Army Medical Corps

Dr Dunlop

Dr Dunlop 1

















Born 14th March 1859, 5 James Place, Leith

Died 3rd July 1916, Etaples, France aged 57

Remembered with honour at Etaples Military Cemetery, France.

Son of James Usher Dunlop. Born in Leith and spent boyhood at Middlefield House, Leith Walk. Educated at Dr Scott’s school in Picardy Place and then at the Edinburgh Collegiate School in Charlotte Square, one of Edinburgh’s principal day schools, under the principal, Dr Bryce. Graduated from Edinburgh Medical School in 1888 and obtained M.D. in 1884 and FRCPE in 1887. Set up in medical practice in Edinburgh and became a physician at the  Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Edinburgh and published several learned medical papers. Married Margaret Elliot Boog-Scott and stayed at 20 Abercromby Place, Edinburgh.

In the Edinburgh University Roll of Honour, 1914-1919 published in the British Medical Journal in May 1921 it states

“It is a melancholy business for the survivors of a generation to peruse the memorial of their fellows who are dead, even although their deaths were glorious and deserving of memory. As we turn over the pages of this volume, recognising so many names and so many faces of student days before the war, we realise more poignantly the blight that has been cast upon a whole generation. So many are dead without our having known it, so many are dead whose deaths we knew too well. Edinburgh has always prided itself on being a university for all the world, and on the long roll appear names from every corner of the globe, and from Highland parish schools as well as from Eton and Winchester. Young and old are there together… There, too G H Melville Dunlop who would today so surely have been carrying on in Edinburgh the tradition of the Medical School.”

His son, Sir Derek Melville Dunlop (1902-1980) became Professor of Therapeutics and Clinical Medicine at Edinburgh University (1936-1962), Physician to the Queen in Scotland, Chairman of Medicines Commission, co-author of the world famous Davidson’s Textbook of Medical Treatment and involved many other medical activities 


Lieutenant Crawford Jamieson

9th Battalion Royal Scots

Lt jamiesonLt jamieson 1

















Born 1880 in Edinburgh

Died 23rd April 1917 aged 36

Commemorated with Honour at Brown’s Copse Cemetery, Roeux and also on George Watson’s College Memorial.

Elder son of Mr William Jamieson and Lucy McLaughlin,  Edinburgh.

Brother of Maggie Jamieson, Bessie Bain Jamieson, James M Jamieson and William Dyer Jamieson.

After attending a private school, attended George Watson’s College in 1886. He was a sound scholar and played for the School XV. On leaving school, he joined his father’s fruit merchant’s business and lived in Morningside.

Enlisting in the Royal Scots he was promoted rapidly, rising to C.S.M. and was offered a commission. He was Gazetted in 1915, soon becoming a Lieutenant. He went to France with his battalion where he was killed before Roeux whilst leading his men in a charge.


Captain James Ogilvie Kemp 

5th Battalion Royal Scots

Cpt KempCpt Kemp 1                                                                                                              

                                                                              Crosthwaite (St Kentigern) Churchyard


Born 5th August 1865 in Keith

Son of John Kemp, wine merchant and lime cordial manufacturer.

Died 12 December 1917

Remembered with Honour at Crosthwaite (St. Kentigern) Churchyard, Cumberland

Educated at Keith and the Grammar School, Aberdeen; graduated M.A., 1886; admitted to the Faculty of Advocates, Edinburgh, 1889, where he held a successful practice until he left for service shortly after the outbreak of war. Under Lord Advocate Murray, Kemp held the posts of Sheriff Court Depute and Extra Advocate Depute. In 1899 and 1900 he was interim sheriff substitute at Banff. For a number of years he was a member of the Parish Council and District Lunacy Board, St. Stephen's Ward, Edinburgh.

Military Service. In 1898 Kemp obtained a commission in the Queen's Edinburgh Rifle Volunteer Brigade, The Royal Scots, in which he served until 1911, attaining the rank of Captain. For many years he was instructor of musketry to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Battalions of the Brigade. Owing to ill health he resigned his commission in 1911, and in September 1914 joined the 2/5th Royal Scots; subsequently he was attached to the 19th Battalion and then to the 1st Labour Corps. He gained the substantive rank of Captain and was Acting Lieutenant-Colonel. Kemp served in France at Abancourt and in Belgium near Dickebush and at Hazebrouck, and died, 12 December 1917, of illness contracted while on active service. He had a fine military record in his family as he and his three sons were all on service at the same time.

He is buried at Crosthwaite (St. Kentigern) Churchyard, Cumbrla


Captain John Wilson Lawson, MC

11th Royal Highlanders (Black Watch)

                                                                                                                          Cpt Lawson

Cpt Lawson 1

















Douchy-les-Ayette British Cemetery, Pas de Calais


Born 1888. Son of Matthew Henry Lawson, Bank House, Dunning.

Died 24th March 1918 aged 29. Killed in action near Sapignies on 24th March 1918.

Commemorated at Douchy-les Ayette British Cemetery, Pas de Calais, France and Dunning Parish Church.


Education and career: Attended Dunning School and Perth Academy.

Student of Law at Edinburgh University, 1908-10

Solicitor in Edinburgh. Married Katherine Noel née Wilson 11th January 1917 and stayed at 16 Craiglockhart Terrace, Edinburgh.


Military History: O.T.C. May-Nov 1915, Cadet. Enlisted Scot Maxim Cycle Corps, Private Nov 1914. Gazetted 11th Royal Highlanders (Black Watch), 2ndLieutenant May 1915.

Machine –Gun Corps, 41st Divisional Brigade, Lieutenant; Captain 1916.

Awarded M.C. January 1918. France.

Killed in action near Sapignies on 24th March1918.


Cpt Lawson 2

Cpt Lawson 3
































Dunning Parish Church and plaque to Captain John Wilson Lawson


Major The Hon.Charles Henry Lyell

Royal Garrison Artillery














Born 18th May 1875, only son of Leonard Lyell, 1st Baron Lyell, of Kinnordy and Mary Stirling, Baroness Lyell. His father, Leonard, served as Liberal MP for Orkney and Shetland from 1885 to 1900 and a Deputy Lieutenant for Forfar-shire. He was created baronet in 1894 and raised to the peerage as Baron Lyell of Kinnordy in 1914. His mother, Mary Stirling was Canadian. He had two younger sisters.


Charles Lyell was educated at Eton and New College, Oxford. He became a private secretary before being elected to Parliament as MP for East Dorset in a by-election in 1904. He was re-elected in the 1906 general election. And was appointed as Parliamentary Private Secretary to Sir Edward Grey, the Foreign Secretary. He stood unsuccessfully as a candidate for Edinburgh West in the 1910 general election. In a by-election in April that year he was elected as MP for Edinburgh South, retaining his seat in a further general election in the December of the same year. In 1911 he was appointed Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Liberal Prime Minister, Herbert Asquith. He stood down from his seat in 1917.

He married Rosalind Margaret Watney at the family home, Cornbury Park, Charlbury, Oxford-shire in 1911. They had a daughter, Margaret Laetitia in 1012 and a son, Captain Charles Anthony Lyell, 2nd Baron Lyell, V.C. posthumously awarded for actions in Tunisia in 1943.













Wedding photograph of Charles Lyell and Miss Rosalind Watney, May 1911

Military History: He was commissioned as a lieutenant in the Forfar and Kincardine Artillery Militia in 1900 and served until 1908 when the Militia was dissolved under the Territorial and Reserve Forces Act 1907. He then served as the Vice-Chairman of the County Territorial Association for Forfarshire. On the outbreak of the First World War, he was gazetted a Captain in the Fife Royal Garrison Artillery, and in May 1915 made a Major in the Highland Battery of the Fife RGA.

He commanded the Battery from its arrival in France on 4th May. In November 1916 he was badly burned on the face and hands following an accident on a gun line and was forced to relinquish his command. He was mentioned in dispatches. In May 1917, he stood down as an MP, having been appointed Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Three Chiltern Hundreds. The Crown Steward and Bailiff of the three Chiltern Hundreds of Stoke, Desborough and Burnham is one of two sinecure posts currently used to effect resignation from the British House of Commons by sitting Members of Parliament (MPs), who have no constitutional power to resign directly. The post has no responsibilities or functions, but as a nominal paid office of The Crown, being appointed to the post means an MP is automatically disqualified from sitting in the Commons. This then allows a by-election to be called to elect their replacement.

He was formally appointed as Assistant Military Attaché in Washington DC on 22nd December 1917, the day he sailed on the SS Baltic from Liverpool. He arrived in New York on 26th December and took up his post on 2nd January 1918.

In October 1918, he fell ill with influenza. He died on 18 October 1918 at his apartment, The Brighton Apartments, Washington of pneumonia and an embolism. He was buried at Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia, USA.

He is also commemorated on the Houses of Parliament War Memorial in Westminster Hall and in the House of Commons Book of Remembrance 1914-1918 and in the House of Lords, In Piam Memoriam. He is also commemorated on the Kirriemuir War Memorial and in St Mary’s Episcopal Church in Kirriemuir.

Mj Lyell


















Arlington National Cemetery, Virginia, USA

























































Lyell’s grave at Arlington Cemetary and the  Kirriemuir War Memorial.


Captain John Martin MC

“A” Company 8th/10th Battalion Gordon Highlanders

Cpt martin 











Born 1888 in Edinburgh

Died 9th April 1917 aged 28

Remembered with Honour at Cabaret-Rouge British Cemetery, Souchez, Pas de Calais, France


Son of James Martin, S.S.C. and Euphemia Carrick Barclay Martin.  Educated at George Watson’s College and Malvern Public School. He was a keen sportsman, gaining a reputation in cricket, football and golf and played for the Watsonian’s first XV and XI. He was a student of law at Edinburgh University from 1912-1914 following which he entered his father’s business.

Military Career. He served in the College Cadet Corps as a Private for 2 years and then in the Officer Training Corps at University. John joined the Army on the 14th August 1914, and was granted a temporary commission as 2LT on the 26th August in the Gordon Highlanders. He was the first Watsonian sportsman to receive a commission. He also expressed an interest in the Cameron Highlanders and the Highland Light Infantry. At his time of enlistment he was living at 13 Forbes Road, Edinburgh.

He was a temporary 2nd Lieutenant on 6th Aug 1914, Lieutenant 10th June 1915, Captain 14th April 1916. He originally served with the 8th Gordon Highlanders before the amalgamation into the 8th/10th Gordon Highlanders, on May the 11th 1916. He went to France on the 12th March 1915 and is listed as Captain in A Coy, on the 11th may 1916.

Following action on the 30th January 1917, he was awarded the Military Cross “for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He displayed marked courage and ability in organizing the arrangements previous to a raid. Later, during the raid, he personally supervised the guiding of the assaulting troops`.

The following is the War Diary for that night.

 “On the night of the 29th/30th, a raid was carried out by B and D Coys on the Butte De Warlencourt and the Quarry. At midnight the two assaulting Coys clad in white smocks, and with whitened steel helmets moved up into position along tapes, which were laid the night previously by Capt. Martin and Capt. Priday. Lt Mutch was in command of B Coy with 2Lt Kemp, 2Lt Walker and 2lt Hafford. Lt Kenyon was in command of D Coy with 2Lt Knowles and 2Lt Farster. Some difficulty was experienced in getting the men into place, but this was accomplished safely, by 1.30 am.

 The German wire was all cut by artillery and gaps were made in our own. During all this time there was practically no shelling by either side. Prompt to a second to zero 1.45 am our artillery of all calibers placed an intense barrage on the enemy trench in front of Butte, stokes guns, medium trench mortars and machine guns assisted. Immediately the artillery started the assaulting waves and commenced to cross no mans land at zero +1 minute the barrage lifted at the rate of 50 yards per minute. Practically no opposition was offered to our advance with the exception of the left flank, which was held up for a short time by a MG on the left of the quarry. The waves moved steadily forward and reached the Butte after 10 minutes. The ground was in a very bad condition and full of enormous craters. B Coys objective was the Butte and dugouts in it. The right of B Coy encountered a German post and held by six men that immediately surrendered. They then entered the Butte Trench and discovered a deep dugout and trench mortar emplacement with gun in position. This was destroyed and dugout bombed.

The left flank and centre of B Coy saw no trench before reaching the Butte; there they discovered several dugouts. The occupants were called upon to surrender, those in the first refused, so several mills were throw in one or two P bombs and a stokes bomb were thrown in, wrecking the dugout and setting it on fire. One prisoner was got out of the second, which was treated similarly to number one. In the third 12 prisoners were captured and it also was wrecked. D Coys objective was the quarry. This was reached after a short time, owing to the activities of a machine gun on the left edge. This gun was knocked out and then the advance was continued to the Quarry. Her many Germans were discovered and killed. One dugout in the right hand corner was successfully bombed. Six prisoners were reported to have been captured, but they never reached our Adv Btn Hq. The whole raid was a great success, in all 17 prisoners passed through our hands. According to all reports many casualties were inflicted on the enemy. It’s calculated that these amount to 50 or 60 all told. Our casualties were slight, amounting at the very outside to be 16 or 17. There were three Officers, two 2Lt Farster and 2Lt Walker slightly wounded and 2Lt Knowles missing believed killed. The enemy did not put up a fight at all. No barrage was placed on our lines and no SOS signal were seen. It is thought that owing to the quietness that they were absolutely deceived as to our intentions and no thought of our attack occurred to them. On the admission of one of the prisoners who spoke a little English, it came as a complete surprise.  The following message was received from the Div. The GOC congratulates you and your brigade on the operation so successfully carried out. Brig Gen Marshall adds, I wish to thank all ranks for the trouble taken in preparing for the raid, and gallantry displayed in the execution. About 3.15 am the dugouts on the Butte were blazing merrily at this hour an explosion occurred there and flames rose about 30 feet in the air, bombs and SAA were also heard exploding, at 10 am this morning the Butte was still smoking.”


The following is an account of Captain Martin’s actions during the Battle of Arras

“At 2.30 am on the 9th April 1917, the Btn began to move forward to assembly trenches for the attack. The Btn was reported in position at 4.30 am, one hour before zero, no casualties having occurred and the enemy’s suspicions apparently not having been aroused. The position of the Btn as follows-

A Coy under Capt. John Martin MC, right front. B Coy under Capt. W McCall, on the left front. D Coy under 2Lt B Burnett, in support. C Coy under Lt P Booth, in reserve. Strength Officers 20 OR`s 702.

At 5.30 am Zero our barrage opened with a thunder of sound and our support and reserve Coys moved out of their trenches. At 2 minutes in accordance with the plan, the front Coys climbed from their trenches and moved forward. The movement was made in perfect order, a tendency on the part of the men to follow our barrage too closely being the only problem calling for Officers control. The enemy’s SOS signal was put up about 30 seconds after zero, and a field gun barrage was put down on our front line and communication trenches about 3 minutes later, causing a few casualties to C Coy before they got over the front line, and the two front Coys dashed into the enemy first line before opposition was passable. From this point until the taking of the 1st front line, the two front Coys dashed into the enemy first line before forward behind the barrage with perfect steadiness and splendid courage. HQ were advanced to the front line and remained with the leading Coys throughout subsequent operations. A halt of 1 hour 40 minutes at this point allowed reorganization. There was little shelling the enemy having engaged in withdrawing its guns. At 7.50 am the Btn advanced to the second objective in the altered formation laid down. This objective represented a further advance of 1000 yards, A and B Coys remained in the front line attack. Before the attack had advanced 150 yards, it was held up by machine gun fire from Railway Triangle and a redoubt on the right. This redoubt was outside our area, but Capt. Martin MC seeing that the Division on our right was swinging away from the redoubt, instead of attacking it, at once organized two parties to storm it. With 2Lt A C Hay he led these parties and captured the redoubt, both Officers unfortunately being killed in doing so. Their efforts coupled with the arrival of a tank, which advanced against Railway Triangle enabled the Btn to move forward and take the second objective.”


British Cemetery


















Cabaret-Rouge British Cemetery, Souchez, Pas de Calais

 Private Ralph Scott Russell

“A” Company 16th Battalion, Royal Scots.

Born 1887 at Billiemains Farm in Bunkle and Preston, Berwickshire

Died 1st July 1916 at Battle of Albert on the Somme

Remembered with Honour at Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France

Pv Russell



















Son of Thomas Russell and Mary Scott. Brother of Jane (b. circa 1880), James (b. 1882), George (b.1883) and  Elizabeth, James (b,1892) of Bunkle and Preston, near Chirnside in Berwickshire.

The family moved to Belhaven, Dunbar and in 1911 was he working as a farm labourer.

He was employed as a green-keeper at Mortonhall Golf Club.

He signed up for the Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment) and may have been part of McCrae’s Battalion.

In November 1914 the well respected local businessman and former MP Sir George McCrae, who was a Mortonhall Member, launched an appeal to the young men of Edinburgh to join his own battalion for active duty in the field. McCrae’s ambitious aim to source a full unit within just 7 days sounded fanciful, but his confidence was justified as thirteen professional players contracted to Heart of Midlothian answered his call. They were the first football club in Britain to do so.

Hearts’ brave leap into the unknown had an immediate knock-on effect, as within days hundreds of the club’s supporters began to follow in their heroes’ footsteps. McCrae’s Battalion quickly managed to attract a full complement of 1,350 recruits – including a great number of football players and supporters of rival clubs such as Hibernian, Raith Rovers, Falkirk and Dunfermline. The example set by the Hearts players had proved pivotal. McCrae’s Own – the original sportsmen’s battalion was born.

The casualties on the first day of the Battle of the Somme on July 1st 1916 rank among the most catastrophic in British military history. Soldiers were mown down relentlessly as they toiled to advance towards the heavily fortified German trenches. The following morning, the bodies of 20,000 British soldiers lay strewn across the bloodied battlefields with a further 40,000 badly wounded.

In 1922, Hearts Football Club erected a memorial at Haymarket in honour of their players and supporters who had fallen in the Great War. In 2004 McCrae’s Battalion Memorial Cairn was erected outside the village of Contalmaison in France has since become a shrine for avid followers of the Scottish game.


 Private David Paterson Watt

4th Battalion Gordon Highlanders

Pvt watt











Born 1885 in Dunbar

Died 1917 in Kent

Remembered with Honour at Arras Memorial, Pas de Calais, France.

Pvt Watt 1

















And also on the Dirleton War Memorial, East Lothian.

Davie Watt was born at Gateside House, Dunbar. His parents moved from the Beil Estate owned by the Nisbet-Hamiltons when he was seven to Dirleton and lived in the Old Toll House and later Rosemary Cottage. His father was the estate gardener and forester at Archerfield also owned by the Nisbet-Hamilton family.

Davie was one of five brothers who learned to play golf over the golf course at Archerfield and later at North Berwick links. Archerfield was a private golf course played only by the Archerfield Golf Club, the tenants of the mansion house, their guests and golfers of fame and repute who were given the authority to use the links. Professional players such as Ben Sayers Sr, Jack White and Willie Park Jr found the course an ideal retreat away from the busy Gullane and North Berwick courses. As a special consideration the staff of Archerfield and their families were allowed courtesy of the course.

The brothers often played a game as youngsters when they would place a bluebell match on the road and each attempted to light the match using their driver. If they swung the club too high, they missed, too low and they broke the club head!

On leaving school in Dirleton, David was a licensed caddie at North Berwick. He served a five-year apprenticeship as a club maker under Andrew Bisset in Hutchison’s workshop beside the first tee on the West Links.

In 1910, Davie was appointed professional at Mortonhall Golf Club.

In June 1914 at the Scottish Professional Championship played over the North Berwick Burgh course he carded a fine 71 in the fourth and final round to oust his brother Willie Watt from the leadership which he had held from the start and Davie won by a couple of strokes. He was the first left-handed player to win a professional championship. In a “Scottish letter” in the Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser of June 1914, the correspondent comments on this result.

“the new Champion is a popular member of the Scottish profession, one of that somewhat rare type who combine a very strong game with the right degree of modesty in his bearing. He is a left-handed player and must be one of the best in the game. Lacking the brilliance of his younger brother, he plays a very sound and steady game, drives a good ball, plays his irons well, and is never much out on the greens.”

In 1914 Davie qualified for the Open at Prestwick and played in all four rounds.

At the start of WW1 he enlisted in the Gordon Highlanders and was wounded at Arras in France on 23rd April 1917. He died in a Kent hospital later that year following a leg amputation. His name is engraved on the War Memorial on the green opposite Dirleton Parish Kirk.

His brother, Willie Watt said it was a cruel irony that Davie should be the one to make the ultimate sacrifice, as he was the most talented of all the brothers.

His widow remarried and one of their great grandsons has recently joined Mortonhall Golf Club with a handicap of 5.

Davie’s brothers all had distinguished golfing careers.

James Watt (1882-1965) became a club maker with Willie Park in North Berwick, Musselburgh and in the retail shop in Cannon St, London. He latterly joined Dan Mackay, a Dornoch club maker who had set up a business in North Berwick, becoming the sole tenant of the business in 1917. He specialized in left-handed clubs and could hit a ball as far with either a left or right-handed club. He taught local girl Jean Donald, the first lady professional in Scotland. He served with the Royal Scots during the First World War until being wounded in 1917. Many of his clubs are highly collectable, particularly the “Watt Scareneck Spoon” from 1904. He died in Athelstaneford aged 83 in 1965.

William Watt (1889-1954) became a club maker with Robert Thomson in Musselburgh and golf professional at Turnhouse G C. He played in the Open Championships at Royal St George in 1911 and at Muirfield in 1912. He returned to look after the course at Archerfield and gave lessons to Prime Minister Herbert Asquith. He enlisted in the Black Watch Regiment in 1915 and later that year was appointed professional at the RAC at Woodcote in Epsom. At the opening of the course he played in an exhibition match with George Duncan against James Braid and Harry Vardon.

Robert Watt 1887-1929) Robert apprenticed as a club maker with Donald MacKay at 1 Station Hill, North Berwick and worked in the shop with his brother Jim until 1913. That year he was appointed the first professional at Blackmoor G.C, Hampshire (1913-14). Robert enlisted in WW1 and was badly affected by gas. Following the conflict he was appointed professional at Bishop Auckland (1918-19), then Wortley GC, Yorkshire (1919-24). Robert died aged 42 years in 1929.

John Logan Watt (1884-1957) apprenticed as a cabinetmaker with Thomas Horsburgh and worked as a professional at Gullane and North Berwick.

MemorialMemorial 1

Dirleton War Memorial, East Lothian.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.